Guild Training Programme
The Guild Training Programme is for anyone who has no experience of sweeping, or is working as a sweep but has never undertaken any formal training or qualifications. It is the course that many members will have taken before joining and is the most comprehensive chimney sweeping course available in the UK. As of 2020 it is the foundation for anyone wishing to opt in to the pathway to NVQ qualification.
There are several parts to the programme (full details and a list of benefits are in the Training Packs below) but it basically consists of:
- four intensive theory and practical days at a training centre
- a minimum of four days accompanying experienced Guild on-site trainers.
- ongoing mentoring and support.
This is all underpinned by practical, theory and equipment assessments.
The Guild Training Course is in three parts:
Part 1. Training Centre
This comprises four days intensive theory and practical training at a dedicated approved training centre. At the end of day four there is an open book multiple choice assessment test.
Part 2. On-Site Training
There is nothing quite like on the job training. You will accompany experienced Guild members as they visit their customers. There are a minimum of four days required. These can be spread over time or perhaps all in one week. These days should be taken with two different trainers. This gives you the best spread of styles and knowledge as no two trainers will work in quite the same way. They may also give you valuable insight in to how their business is run and promoted.
Part 3. Final assessment
You will be assessed on your ability to correctly and cleanly sweep a minimum of 4 different appliances and their chimneys. This will take place either at a suitable training centre or onsite at customer’s properties. Immediately following this practical assessment there is a written (question and answer) assessment.
You are required to use your own vehicle (with sealed bulkhead) and your own sweeping equipment as these form part of the assessment.
The Guild has strict equipment and insurance criteria. You need all the equipment on the list below to be able to tackle the majority of job situations and you will need a minimum £2 million public liability insurance. These must be met prior to booking in for the final assessment.
Accommodation is not included and candidates are responsible for their own arrangements. Details of nearby accommodation will be provided upon receipt of your deposit.
Course Costs and details
- Four days at the training centre (lunch and refreshments included).
- Four on-site training days (any additional days charged at £25).
- A copy of our unique training manual, Masterful Sweeping and a current copy of Document J building regulations.
Final assessment, annual membership and starter pack
payable 7 days prior to final assessment, and includes:
- One year’s Guild membership, website listing and links, use of trademarked Guild logo’s member’s online forum etc. Please see the Benefits of Membership page for a full list.
- Guild ID card
- A pack of 50 warning certificates and 50 warning labels.
- Promotional material / livery: 7 assorted van stickers, 2 cloth badges (for work wear) mouse mat, Guild mug.
You will need to order sweeping certificates from our printer as soon as you have completed
all the assessment requirements.
Discounts are available for: Existing professional sweeps who are able to provide 2 years trading accounts, Solid fuel installers listed on a competent persons register e.g. HETAS and full members of other bona-fide chimney sweep trade associations