Beware of cowboy tradesmen
COWBOY tradesmen cause a lot of problems for householders when they turn up to do a job and don’t do it properly.
These unprofessional workers don’t care about the welfare of the customer and their own focus is on making a quick buck, regardless of safety.
Chimney sweeping is not a Government regulated trade and there are sweeps out there who lack the equipment, the skills and the knowledge to safely clean chimneys.
That poses a danger of injury or even death to you – the customer – because errors whether deliberate, or through carelessness or ignorance, can increase the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning or chimney / housefire.
The Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps requires members to strictly adhere to industry standard guidelines. That is reassuring for you because it means the sweeping job is completed to high standards.
“Guild sweeps are trained to the Guild’s high safety standards,” says Lawson Wight, Guild chairman. “When a Guild member arrives on your doorstep you can be reassured that he or she brings with them a wealth of experience, training and support by our trade association.
“In effect, we regulate ourselves and support each other to be the best possible in the chimney sweeping trade. The safety and welfare of our customers is THE focus for us.”
A Guild sweep will sweep the chimney properly but also check for any damage or irregularities in the chimney infrastructure. You will also receive advice on matters such as care of your stove or open fire, fuels to use and safety tips. It is likely that the Guild sweep will advise you to look at the BurnRight website, which gives clear guidance on using indoor fires efficiently.
Advice given by Guild members will also save customers money because regular, professional sweeping helps protects the structure from any damage due to soot, water residue, birds nesting, etc. You can save on fuel and generally get more from your fire.
Please don’t employ the services of cowboy tradesmen – instead be safe and get in touch with your local Guild master chimney sweep today.